At Beacon View Primary Academy, we believe that music should be an enriching, inspirational and comprehensive element of the curriculum. Music gives pupils a unique way of communicating that can encourage and motivate them through opportunities for personal expression. Music can reflect the culture and society we live in and so the teaching and learning of music enables children to better understand the world we live in, and enables them to feel part of a community. A high-quality music education makes an essential contribution to the creativity, culture, and mental well-being of the nation. We pride ourselves on the fact that every child can learn how to play an instrument before they leave Beacon View and that our pupils are confident and enthusiastic performers.
The teaching of music is led by specialist teachers from the Portsmouth Music Hub.
Our curriculum has been designed in collaboration with this service, and aims to develop the following musical characteristics:
- A rapidly widening repertoire which pupils use to create original, imaginative, fluent and distinctive composition and performance work
- A musical understanding underpinned by high levels of aural perception, internalisation ad knowledge of music, including high or rapidly developing levels of technical expertise
- A strong awareness and appreciation of different musical traditions and genres
- An excellent understanding of how musical provenance – the historical, social and cultural origins of music – contributes to the diversity of musical styles
- The ability to give precise written and verbal explanations, using musical terminology effectively, accurately and appropriately
- Excitement for a diverse range of musical activities
We also take pride in exposing the pupils to different composers to enhance their understanding.
In addition to the taught curriculum, the Portsmouth Music Hub also supports the school in delivering a performing arts club and opportunities for the children to sing with other children in Portsmouth.
Click here to view our Music Long-Term plan